When a home is flooded, water damage cleanup and extraction are crucial, as it helps restore sanity and uphold the safety of the building. If the water source is unknown or the flooding is extensive, it may require the services of a water damage restoration company.
Water extraction from a flooded home prevents electrocution, growth of molds, an outbreak of pests, and rodents in the homestead. Most importantly, it prevents structural damage, and this helps to maintain its original condition while ensuring the safety of homeowners is maintained throughout their stay.
Read on to learn about water extraction, the processes involved in water extraction, and where to find the best water damage restoration company.
What is Water Extraction?
It is the removal of excess water from a flooded floor or ground. It may be conducted anywhere within the home to protect hard wood floors and other crucial sections from water damage
The Process of Water Extraction
Water extraction is done by a qualified technician, using standard extraction techniques and equipment.
Below are important steps followed during extraction:
- Identifying the Source: To stop water build-up, you should first identify its source. This may be caused by rainwater, leaking roofs, clogged sewer, and a damaged air conditioning system. If flooding is caused by rain, you should extract it after the rain subsides.
- Identifying Safety Hazards: Before extraction, it is crucial to identify potential safety hazards to prevent injuries or death. Common safety hazards include open sockets, electric appliances, sharp objects, and loose electric wires. The power supply should be disconnected to avoid the risk of electrocution.
- Draining and Drying the Property: Water extractors are used to drain excess water from a property. Draining involves the removal of both surface water and invisible water that seeps through the floor or carpet. This helps to protect hardwood floors from deterioration and mold attacks.
- Disinfecting the Property: Once the whole process is over, the property should be disinfected using a sanitizing agent. Disinfection and sanitization prevent the buildup of harmful bacteria and fungi and removes bad odors caused by mold.
- Dehumidification: An electric dehumidifier is often used to remove moist air and pump dry air into the home. The dehumidification prevents the growth of additional mold due to moisture.
- Importance of Water Extraction: If the home is flooded, it may be severely damaged and rendered inaccessible. It may also lead to loss of lives due to drowning and damage to household items such as furniture and electric appliances.
- Prevents Structural Damage: Severe flooding or leaking water pipes can create a buildup of excessive moisture on corners and walls. This may weaken the structure of the house and cause deterioration of important parts.
- Water Damage Repairs: Water damage repair and extraction is therefore important, as it can prevent such damages and protect hard wood floors. Water extraction also prevents the deterioration of wooden items such as cupboards, and bookshelves which may deteriorate as a result of excess moisture absorption.
- Prevents Pest Infestation: Water flooding can create damp conditions that form a suitable environment for pests. Common pests that are attracted to damp conditions include termites, crickets, and cockroaches. Pests such as cockroaches can pose a health hazard as a result of food contamination.
- Prevents Growth of Mold: Mold thrives in extremely dark and damp conditions such as a flooded basement. Once mold colonies develop, they continue to grow and form harmful spores. Mold spores can cause allergic reactions and prolonged exposure can cause serious health conditions such as asthma.
To prevent mold, a flooded floor or ground should be cleaned and dried as soon as possible. This requires extraction and remediation by a water damage restoration company.
Where to Find a Professional Water Damage Restoration Company?
If you are experiencing extensive water flooding and damage, you should hire a professional water damage restoration company.
California Construction Superior is your trusted partner for water damage repair and water damage restoration services. We offer water extraction, commercial and residential water damage restoration. Contact us today for a consultation and professional service.